Pediatric Dentistry in Fleming Island
What is Pediatric Dentistry?
Pediatric dentistry refers to dental services for children. When it comes to dental and oral health, children have specific needs that differ somewhat from adults. Children have primary teeth that are gradually shed when the permanent teeth are ready to come in. The primary teeth serve an important role in dental health and need to be cleaned and treated just as much as the permanent teeth.
One of the main goals of pediatric dentistry is to establish good oral hygiene habits at an early age that set the tone for a lifetime of dental health. Children should have their teeth cleaned and examined every 6 months starting around age one.
Services We Offer
We offer the following pediatric dental services:
- Comprehensive Oral Evaluation. Children should have a comprehensive oral evaluation every 6 months to assess the condition of their teeth and the soft tissues of the mouth. This includes an oral cancer screening to check for abnormalities.
- Digital X-Rays. Dental X-Rays are now digital, using a fraction of the radiation to create high quality images of the teeth, roots, and jaw. This allows the dentist to view what is under the soft tissues of the mouth and identify any potential problems, such as cavities.
- Teeth Cleaning. A thorough teeth cleaning should also be done every 6 months to remove plaque and calculus from the teeth. This helps to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Dental Sealants. A tooth that has deep crevices is at a higher risk of decay. Dental sealants are composite materials that are applied to the teeth to fill in crevices and protect the tooth from decay.
- Fluoride Treatment. Fluoride is a mineral that naturally strengthens tooth enamel. Fluoride treatments are applied to the teeth to strengthen the enamel and prevent tooth decay.
- Mouth Guards. Children who play sports of any kind should wear a mouth guard to protect their teeth and mouth from injury. We provide custom mouth guards that fit more comfortably and provide better protection than store-bought mouth guards.
Why Choose Doctors Lake Family Dental?
A family dental practice treats patients of all ages, making it convenient for the whole family to receive dental care at one location. Doctors Lake Family Dental treats your family like family, providing the highest quality care that we would want for our own loved ones. We provide compassionate care for all patients from the youngest to the oldest. Our goal is to help our patients keep their teeth healthy and in place for their lifetime. When children get a healthy start in dentistry, they are more likely to maintain good oral hygiene habits that lead to a lifetime of dental health.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pediatric Dentistry
When should children go to the dentist for the first time?
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children have their first dental checkup around the age of 12 months or within 6 months of the eruption of their first tooth, whichever comes first. The first appointment is usually just a quick checkup and introduction to the experience of going to the dentist. Appointments should be scheduled every 6 months going forward.
How often should children brush and floss their teeth?
We recommend that children brush their teeth twice a day and floss once a day. Young children should have help with brushing and flossing until they are able to do it effectively themselves. It is easy for children to miss spots that could lead to cavities.
Are X-Rays safe for children?
Digital X-Rays have been proven safe for children. Significantly less radiation is used in digital X-Rays than the film X-Rays of the past. As an extra safety precaution, a protective apron is placed over the child’s body while X-Rays are being done.
What are the benefits of custom mouth guards?
We create custom mouth guards for children that are made specifically to fit their teeth and mouth. They are more comfortable and provide more effective protection that can prevent dental injuries. Custom mouth guards are especially helpful for patients who have braces.